Login to Complete an Application or to Access Judging Panel
About the New York State Governor’s Youth Council
The Youth Council will be made up of 62 young people ages 13-21, one representing each county to be selected via via the selection process.
The Youth Council is youth-run and adult supported; its members will work to identify and prioritize issues that matter to New York State youth.
Give Formal Voice to Youth
The Youth Council provides representation for New York’s youth and creates a forum for advocacy. It facilitates ongoing, 2-way communication with policy-makers, to better address youth and community issues. Youth Council members are expected to develop ways to get regular input from other youth about their ideas and concerns.
Civic Engagement and Education
Youth Council members get first-hand experience with how the democratic process works by becoming involved in government in a practical, hands-on way.
In addition to representing the needs and interests of youth to policymakers, the Youth Council will assist State and Local governments to promote positive youth development throughout initiatives.
Youth Council Member Commitments
Youth must understand the great opportunity offered upon selection and commit to the following if appointed to the NYS Governor’s Youth Council:
• Attend a statewide training(s) in Albany, NY about government, civic engagement and positive youth development.
• Attend regional meetings via online platforms and in-person
• Work on selecting policy issues to inform local, regional and/or state changes
• Seek out, listen and respect others’ opinions and experiences
• Maintain your membership until March 31, 2021
Youth Council Members and Chaperones may be reimbursed for travel expenses.